New Zealand, Auckland – May 3, 2011 – Aspose.Words for .NET 10 is the culmination of nine years of product development and refinement. Over the years, we have continuously listened to our customers and worked to develop the product in the direction they have asked us.
Aspose.Words for .NET introduces a number of new features, for example:Support for table styles in DOC files.Support for Custom XML in WordprocessingML 2003 files.Improved support for Math Markup Language (OMML) when converting to and from DOCX files.Better DrawingML rendering.For a full list of new features and fixes, read the Aspose.Words for .NET 10.0 release notes.
A brief history of Aspose.Words
In 2003, Aspose saw the product which developed into Aspose.Cells gain in popularity. It was a practical .NET component that gave developers a way of working with XLS files. Extending the idea to DOC files seemed natural. Ben Li, Team Leader for Aspose Sydney, says “We had an idea for a product, but we were still a small team and we didn’t have the resource. We had worked with Roman on a different project so I asked him if he wanted to develop Aspose.Words.“
Roman Korchagin, Team Leader for Aspose Auckland, continues: “Aspose.Words was – and still is – an interesting challenge. That first version was nowhere near as advanced as the current product but it quickly became popular.” Roman has been involved in Aspose.Words from that very first release, written entirely by him. Over the years, the team has grown, many new features have been added and the product has been ported to another four platforms.
- 2003: Aspose.Words 1.0 for .NET is released in December after four months of development. The product supported DOC files only and had features for mail merge and mail merge with regions. It had a simple public API for working with bookmarks and sections.
- 2004: Aspose.Words 2.0 for .NET sees support for HTML and export to PDF through Aspose.Pdf. It also introduces the first of the image and shape support that makes Aspose.Words such a flexible product.
- 2005: By version 3.0 of Aspose.Words for .NET, six people are working on the product. The tree-like DOM is introduced and work on porting the product to Java begins.
- 2006: Aspose.Words 4.0 for .NET has a full API for images and shapes and RTF and WML are added to the supported file formats.
- 2007: Aspose.Words 5.0 for .NET introduces support for OOXML and 64-bit systems. Aspose.Words for ReportingServices 1.0 is released, extending the Aspose.Words product family across three platforms.
- 2008: Aspose.Words 6.0 for .NET adds rendering to PDF, XPS and image formats, printing and page layout features, ODT and MHTML is also supported. Two online word processors, including Zoho Writer, use Aspose.Words to convert document, a sign of the product’s popularity and efficiency.
- 2009: Aspose.Words 7.0 introduces the field update engine and Aspose.Words 8.0 provides support for nested mail merge regions. The two releases are made possible by another increase in the team: 15 people now work on Aspose.Words.
- 2010: Aspose.Words for .NET 9.0 adds support for footnotes and endnotes in rendering, text wrapping around shapes, export to SWF, support for SDT, CustomXML, DrawingXML in OOXML open and save. Aspose.Words for .NET to Java auto-porting comes close to completion, a great boon to Aspose.Words for Java users. Aspose.Words for SharePoint is released and extends the Aspose.Words product family across five platforms. The team now comprises 25 developers.
- 2011: Aspose.Words 10 for .NET is released. Auto-porting to Java is completed.
As Aspose.Words enters its 10th year, it is still a dynamic and developing product. We look forward to seeing what happens over the next ten major releases.
Aspose are file format experts. They offer a powerful set of file management components with which developers can create applications which can open, edit, create and save some of the most popular business file formats. The product range includes word processing components, Excel spreadsheet components, PDF components and many others. Supported formats include Word documents, Excel spreadsheets, PowerPoint presentations, PDF documents, Flash presentations and Project files. Aspose produce components for .NET, Java and SharePoint as well as rendering extensions for SQL Server Reporting Services and JasperReports exporters. Aspose.Total compiles all products for a platform into a powerful toolbox for developers.
Aspose Pty Ltd has been operating since 2002. The headquarters are in Australia, and the company has teams in USA, Scotland, Ukraine and Pakistan.
Telephone (US): 888.277.6734
Telephone (Europe): +44 (0)800 098 8425