If you want to send a document or any file within an email, you have to add it to the attachments. In various cases, while working with MS Outlook emails programmatically, you have to manipulate the attachments. For example, you may need to add/download files to/from the attachments. In this article, you will learn how to add attachments to Outlook emails in Python. We will also demonstrate how to extract the attachments and save them as files programmatically in Python.
- Python Library to Work with Outlook Email Attachments
- Add Attachments to Outlook Email in Python
- Extract Attachments from Outlook Emails
Python Library to Add and Extract Outlook Email Attachments
To add and extract attachments from Outlook emails, we will use Aspose.Email for Python. It is a powerful Python library that lets you seamlessly create, send, and process Outlook emails. In addition, it supports working with popular email clients. You can download the library or install it using the following command.
> pip install Aspose.Email-for-Python-via-NET
Add Attachments to Outlook Email in Python
The following are the steps to add attachments to an Outlook email in Python.
- Load Outlook email or create a new one using MailMessage class.
- Create an instance of Attachment class to load the file to attach.
- Add attachment to the collection using MailMessage.attachments.append() or MailMessage.add_attachment() methods.
- Finally, save the email using MailMessage.save() method.
The following code sample shows how to add attachments to an Outlook email in Python.
Extract Attachments from Outlook Emails in Python
Let’s have a look at how to extract the attachments from an Outlook email in Python.
- Load Outlook email using MapiMessage class.
- Loop through each attachment in the MapiMessage.attachments collection.
- Download and save each attachment using Attachment.save() method.
The following code sample shows how to extract attachments from an Outlook email in Python.
Python Library to Work with Outlook Email Attachments - Get a Free License
You can add and extract attachments from MS Outlook emails without evaluation limitations using a free temporary license.
In this article, you have learned how to add attachments to an Outlook email in Python. Furthermore, you have seen how to extract already attached files from an Outlook email. You can simply install Aspose.Email and integrate the provided code sample into your Python applications.