Simple Mail Transfer Protocol (SMTP) is a well-known and commonly used protocol for sending email messages from client applications to the email server. While implementing email automation features, you may need to connect to the SMTP servers from within your Python applications. For such scenarios, this article covers how to connect to an SMTP server programmatically in Python. Furthermore, you will learn how to send an email after making a connection to an SMTP server.
Python Library to Connect SMTP Server
Aspose.Email for Python is an amazing library that lets you create Python-based email client applications. Using the library, you can easily connect to and access the SMTP servers without writing complex code. You can install the library from PyPI using the following command.
> pip install Aspose.Email-for-Python-via-NET
Connect to SMTP Server in Python
Before connecting to an SMTP server, you need to have the following things known.
Once you have them, you can configure the SMTP client using the following steps.
- Create an object of SmtpClient class.
- Set host, username, password, and port number using the SmtpClient object.
- Set security options using SmtpClient.security_options property.
- At this point, you can communicate with the server using the SmtpClient object.
The following code sample shows how to set up a connection with an SMTP server in Python.
Send an Email via SMTP in Python
Once you have established the connection, you can proceed to send emails via SMTP in Python. The following are the steps to do so.
- Create an object of SmtpClient class and set credentials and security options.
- Create an object of MailMessage class.
- Set email message’s subject, body, to, from, and other fields.
- Send message using SmtpClient.send(MailMessage) method.
The following code sample shows how to send an email via SMTP in Python.
Get a Free API License
You can try and use Aspose.Email for Python for free by getting a temporary license.
In this article, you have learned how to connect to an SMTP server in Python. Furthermore, you have seen how to send an email after making a connection to SMTP server programmatically in Python. In addition, you can explore more about Aspose.Email using documentation. Also, you can share your questions or queries on our forum.